Sunday, March 18, 2012

Today is Sunday.  My heart feels broken.  As we left the apartment this morning and got to Evangelismos hospital, a young woman was sitting on the curb crying.  We walked past her, but could not go on.  I thought maybe her child was in the hospital.  We went back to see if we could talk to her.  She spoke no English, but made us understand that she was crying about a child.  She showed us a picture of a little boy, but after we left I realized it was probably an old postcard - not even a photograph.  She showed us a transportation ticket.  She acted like she needed money to travel.  Because we could not communicate, we did not know what was truly going on.  Marcia gave her money, and we went toward the church.  As I walked down the sidewalk, I felt so helpless.  I am so blessed, and I cannot even talk to this lady to see what she needs. 

After arriving at the metro that is close to the church, we began our walk to the church.  About three blocks along our walk, we saw a man fallen on the curb.  He was moaning and rolling around.  One person was trying to help him up, but was not able to.  That man walked away and tried to hail a policeman across the street.  That policeman did not respond.  I stayed to watch the man, and Marcia went to get help from the church. Many people walked past the man fallen on the street and stared, but no one seemed to know exactly what to do.  I didn't know if he fell, was hit by a car, or was knocked down by someone.  Finally two motorcycle policemen came, but they told him to get up and did not do very much to help.  Another passerby tried to help the man up and move him from the curb.  A bottle fell out of his bag and it was wine.  I realized that he was probably too drunk to stand.  There are so many people here who need help.  My heart breaks.  I want to do more, but I do not know what to do.

The last two evenings as we arrived at the metro at Evangelismos, a young lady was standing on the stairs begging.  Her face was badly scarred, and looks like pictures we saw on the news of people in the Chernoble disaster.  A few euro will not help her.  She needs medical help, but I cannot help with that.  My heart breaks. 

This country is so poor and wages are so bad.  Even people willing to work cannot make wages that are enough to care for themselves.  Please continue to pray for these people and the economic situation in Greece.

I love all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Once in Moscow Doug saw a penney on the ground. He was instructed to leave it because that is what the children look for to buy food. We are truly belssed. We cannot help all that need help. Sometimes all we can do is pray and remember prayer is good. Sometimes we have to walk by and that is the hardest thing to do.

    ReplyDelete